IIT Hyderabad PhD- Latest Updates:
- April 2, 2022: Application deadline for regular PhD programs extended till April 10. Check here
- January 29, 2022: Applications for DIA fellowships (ASEAN countries students) are open for Ph.D. admissions. The last date to apply is April 15, 2022. Check Here
Applications for IIT Hyderabad PhD admissions 2022 (Phase 2) has begun. The application process started on March 14. The application deadline earlier scheduled for April 3 is now extended till April 10, 2022. The candidates will be shortlisted for the written test and interview round in the month of May 2022. The rounds for the final selection will be conducted in the month of July 2022. The notification, including the application process and other dates will be released soon.
IIT Hyderabad Ph.D. Admission Dates 2022
|Application begins||March 14, 2022|
|Last date of application|
April 10, 2022
|Written test and PI dates||To Be Notified|
IIT Hyderabad offers Ph.D. program in almost 14 disciplines and the duration of the course is a minimum of 3 years. The Institute offers PhD courses in all academic departments except for Engineering Science. A masters’s degree is the eligibility to get admission to the program. IIT Hyderabad admission to the PhD program is done based on a written test and an interview process. Candidates can fill the form online by visiting the official website of the Institute. But, before applying, a candidate should qualify for the required eligibility of the program.
IIT Hyderabad PhD Eligibility Criteria
For admission to the Ph.D. program at IIT Hyderabad, the candidates are required to fulfill the eligibility criteria. The candidate must have completed a master’s degree in a relevant stream from a recognized College/Institute. Discipline wise eligibility criteria are as follows:
- The candidate must have passed M.Tech or equivalent in CS / ECE / EE or related areas in Artificial Intelligence.
- For Direct-PhD admission: Candidates must have either B.Tech / BE / MCA / M. Sc in any engineering discipline or Maths, and have a valid GATE score in CS/ EC/ EE/ MA/ ST.
- Candidates with B.Tech or M.Sc in any engineering discipline or Maths from any IIT, with a CGPA of 8 or above can apply without a GATE score.
- Part-time PhD admissions: Same eligibility criteria listed above and in addition the candidate must be employed with a relevant employer at the time of application and admission.
- First class or 60% marks (55% marks for reserved categories) in Master’s Degree in Science / Engineering / Technology.
- M.Tech./M.E./M.S.(Engineering/Technology) degree with first-class or equivalent in the respective or allied areas.
- Candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology or a Master’s degree in Sciences in an allied area and possessing a valid GATE score may also apply.
- Candidates with CSIR-NET-JRF / UGC-NET-JRF award for Research fellowship or equivalent or GATE Qualification are encouraged to apply.
- M.Tech or any equivalent degree in any allied area of Life Sciences.
- MSc degree in any allied area of Life Sciences and possessing a GATE score or valid National level JRF qualification.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering /Technology and possessing a valid GATE score.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with 75% or above (or 7.5 CGPA).
- Qualify in GATE (Civil Engineering) in the last two years. GATE score is waived off for IIT graduates.
- Candidates with an M.Tech / ME degree in Chemical Engineering are eligible to apply. A GATE score is not required.
- Candidates with BE / BTech degree in Chemical Engineering and allied field with valid GATE scores (CH) are also eligible to apply.
- Candidates with M.Tech / ME degree in allied engineering disciplines such as Chemical Technology (Polymer, Petroleum Petrochemical, etc.) and Biotechnology are also eligible to apply..
- Candidates with an M.Sc degree with valid CSIR / UGC-NET qualification are encouraged to apply.
- M.Sc in Chemical Sciences with a good academic record.
- Valid GATE-score / UGC-JRF / CSIR-JRF or DST INSPIRE or any other Scholarship.
- M.Des. / M.Arch. / M.Tech. / M.Phil. / MFA / M.A. / M.Sc / Postgraduate Diploma in Design of NID, Ahmedabad and equivalent.
Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering:
- M.Tech./ M.E. or equivalent degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Ceramics, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing/ Production Engineering, Nanoscience, Polymer, Biomedical, and other relevant areas. OR
- B. Tech. / B.E. (Non- I.I.T.) in the above disciplines with CGPA of 8.5 and above, along with a valid GATE score. OR
- B. Tech. students graduating from an I.I.T. with a CGPA of 8.0 or above are eligible to apply OR B.S (4 Year) students graduating from I.I.Sc. Bangalore or an I.I.S.E.R with CGPA 8.0 or above.
- The GATE criterion is not mandatory for B.Tech. or B.Sc students graduating from an I.I.T / IISc-B (with CGPA 8.0 or above).
- M.Sc or equivalent in Materials Science / Physics / Chemistry / Life Sciences or equivalent degree with valid GATE Score in a relevant area or joint CSIR UGC JRF, Inspire, qualified or equivalent exam. OR
- Candidates holding the regular position, in the Government organization and R&D Labs, who have B.Tech / B.E. or equivalent Degree with CGPA 8.0 and above, in a relevant discipline and having two years of experience are eligible to apply.
- Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- M.Sc. in Physics / Applied Physics / Electronics or equivalent degree in engineering(M.E./M. Tech. or M.Sc.(Engg) etc.) with a valid Physics GATE score / UGC-JRF / CSIR-JRF / DST-INSPIRE Fellowship.
- B.E./ B. Tech. or equivalent engineering degree with a valid Physics GATE score.
IIT Hyderabad PhD Selection Criteria
- Admissions are based on either entrance exam conducted by the respective departments ot national level entrance exam scores.
- There is a mandatory interview for candidates where they might also be required to present their research papers and discuss about their proposals.
Check More: IIT Hyderabad Cutoff
IIT Hyderabad PhD Admission 2022
The Candidate must fulfill the eligibility criteria for the program before applying at this Institute.
How to apply?
- Click on the registration process and enter a valid login Id, email address, and password, and register.
- Please provide the login id as well as a password that you have chosen while registering
- Click on the “Click Here to apply” link and choose the department.
- Fill the application form and upload scanned copies of the required documents.
- Pay application fees of INR 300 (Gen/ OBC candidates) INR 150 (SC/ ST/ Females candidates) through SBI collect.
- Submit the form and keep the print out of it for future reference
- The incomplete application form will not be accepted at any cost
- In any case, the application fee is completely non-refundable.
- Application Printout
- UG and PG Mark sheets
- Payment Reference Document’s
- Passport Size Photographs
- Caste Certificate if applicable
IIT Hyderabad PhD Course Details
The following points must be kept in mind while preparing to apply got PhD at IIT Hyderabad:
- The candidate has to undergo program work in the first two semesters. The course requirement in a department is 12 credits.
- B.Tech degree and M.Sc in Science degree candidates have to earn extra credits according to the policy of the Institute.
- All candidates have to defend the thesis proposal within 13 months of the joining date of the department.
- The proposal includes a written document outlining a research plan.
IIT Hyderabad Ph.D. Courses Offered
The following disciplines are offered in Ph.D. at IIT Hyderabad, they are as follows:
|Artificial Intelligence||Biomedical Engineering||Biotechnology||Civil Engineering||Physics|
|Chemical Engineering||Chemistry||Computer Science Engineering||Design||Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering|
|Electrical Engineering||Liberal Arts||Materials Science & Metallurgical Engineering||Mathematics|
IIT Hyderabad Ph.D Placement Details
The institute provides great on-campus placements every year to its Ph.D candidates. Under the supervision of a member of the teaching faculty, this placement program provides the aspiring students in their final years, excellent placement opportunities in some of the leading organizations in various sectors of the industry.
Some of the companies and institutes that have visited the Institute’s campus for recruitment in the past few years are:
Read more: IIT Hyderabad Placement
IIT Hyderabad Stipend
Candidates pursuing full-time Ph.D. in CSE from IIT Hyderabad are eligible for the following stipends:
- MHRD Fellowships: Under this category, candidates receive a monthly stipend of INR 31000 for the first two years at the JRF level and INR 35000 for the next three years at the SRF level. Also, candidates who could not receive accommodation facility from IITH gets a 30% House rent allowance.
- IDRBT Fellowship: The scholarship amount is the same as for the MHRD fellowships, candidates receive INR 31000 at the JRF level and INR 35000 at the SRF level. Under this scholarship, the candidate spends most of his/ her time at the IDRBT campus and the degree awarded is as per the IDRBT norms.
- How to avail: Interested candidates may look out for the Ph.D advertisements of the above-mentioned institutions and apply for the Ph.D Programmes of the respective Departments.
- PM Fellowship: The fellowship is quite competitive as it includes an industry partner where the student works on research problems mutual to the faculty member and Industry partner. The amount paid to the scholar under PM fellowship is usually double the amount of MHRD fellowship as the 50% of the amount is provided by the Government and 50% of the amount by the sponsored industry.
- How to avail? Click Here
- Vivesvarya Fellowships: Under this fellowship, the candidates receive the same privileges as of MHRD fellowship. In addition to them, the candidates also receive some contingency funds. At present, there are 16 Visvesvarya Fellows at IITH.
- Industry Fellowships: Candidates work with top-notch companies such as Infosys, TCS, Google, Intel and receive a monthly stipend which is equal to the amount received under the MHRD fellowship. Getting such fellowships adds a plus point to the CV.
- Project Funded fellowships: Candidates under this fellowship work with the faculty members under various research projects and receive INR 31000- 35000 per month.
- website link:https://www.iith.ac.in/phdadmissions/home.jsp