IIT Mandi PhD- Latest Updates
IIT Mandi is currently inviting applications for the PhD program in various specializations. The application dates are different for each specialization. Candidates submitting the application forms will be called for the written test and interview rounds as per the scheduled dates.
IIT Mandi Ph.D Course Highlights
- IIT Mandi offers research programmes to its students in various fields and departments.
- The university’s Ph.D. courses can be pursued in 3 streams – Engineering, Sciences, and Humanities & Social Sciences, and are available in Regular, Part-Time, Sponsored, External, Project Staff, and Lateral Entry modes.
- Admissions into the course is based on GATE scores.
IIT Mandi Ph.D Admission Dates 2022
|School of Engineering|
|Application process||March 30 – April 20, 2022|
|Interview and test dates||May 30 – June 4, 2022|
|School of Computing and Electrical Engineering|
|Application process||March 31 – April 22, 2022|
|Announcement of shortlisted candidates||May 25, 2022|
|Interview||June 1-2, 2022|
|School of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Application process||April 4-25, 2022|
|School of Basic Sciences|
|Application process||April 7 – May 6, 2022|
IIT Mandi Ph.D Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates to IIT Mandi must have a valid GATE score or UGC/ CSIR-JRF/ NBHM or equivalent qualification in the relevant area that is valid during the year of registration.
- For candidates with 5 years of relevant experience after the Master’s degree, the requirement of a test score may be waived by the Selection Committee.
Candidates can refer to the table below for department-wise eligibility –
|Ph.D in Engineering||Candidates who have qualified for Master’s Degree of in Sciences with a valid GATE score or UGC/ CSIR NET/ Master’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ B. Tech degree of any IIT with a minimum of CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0-point scale from IIT Mandi or any other recognized institute or University. ORCandidates who have qualified for the award of Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Science with an exceptionally good academic background as described as prescribed in the regulations of the Senate. ORCandidates pursuing a Ph.D. degree in a recognized Institute/ University in Engineering/ Technology/ Sciences including Social Science are eligible to apply for lateral entry in the doctoral program at IIT Mandi.|
|Ph.D in Science||Candidates who have qualified for Master’s Degree of in Sciences with a valid GATE score or UGC/ CSIR NET/ Master’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ B. Tech degree of any IIT with a minimum of CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0-point scale from IIT Mandi or any other recognized institute or University. ORCandidates pursuing a Ph.D. degree in a recognized Institute/ University in Engineering/ Technology/ Sciences including Social Science are eligible to apply for lateral entry in the doctoral program at IIT Mandi.|
|Ph.D in Humanities||Candidates must have a Master’s degree in an eligible discipline with a good academic record and have passed UGC NET.|
|Integrated MSc and Ph.D||Candidates must have a BSc. In Mathematics/ Sciences with 55% aggregate marks (50% for SC/ ST/ PWD). The candidates should also have a valid score in JAM followed by an interview.|
IIT Mandi PhD. Admission Guidelines
Admissions to the Ph.D. courses are entrance-based. IIT Mandi selection team looks at GATE scores the candidates received. Candidates have to apply to GATE exams and take the entrance exam.
How to Apply?
Students can follow the steps to apply –
- Admissions are granted on the basis of GATE scores.
- Candidates have to register for GATE and give the examination.
- The candidates will then have to visit the IIT Mandi website after they have received their results.
- Select your desired course and click on the “Apply Online” tab
- Register as a new user and fill in the required details
- Log in with your credentials and fill details in their areas like your personal details and academic details in the application form
- Pay the application fee of INR 300
- Submit the application form
Read More: IIT Mandi Cutoff
IIT Mandi Ph.D Course Details
- The eligibility for Ph.D program is Master’s degree in Engineering/ Technology or Research in Engineering/ Technology with at least 60% (55% for SC/ ST/ PWD).
- The selection criteria are based on the entrance exam like GATE/ UGC NET/ CSIR NET/ NBHM
- The Ph.D. course is divided into 8 semesters that last 3-5 years. Ph.D. research scholars have to complete the prescribed 12 credits. In case of which they will be admitted to a Ph.D. program with a Bachelor’s in Engineering/ Technology or with a Master’s degree in Science.
- When a research scholar wants to convert registration from MS/ M.Tech to a Ph.D. program the scholar should complete 24 credits set by the Doctoral Committee.
- The first 2 semesters consist of elective courses and semesters 3-8 are focused on the completion of the thesis.
- At the end of each semester, the students are awarded a grade. The students will have to obtain a minimum CGPA of 7.5 in the course to get a minimum of ‘C’ grade. Only if the students secure grades other than ‘F’ are they deemed passed.
- Every Ph.D. scholar has to take a comprehensive exam that is set by the Doctoral Committee. If their performance is not satisfactory the first time, the scholar has six months to repeat the same. The exam consists of a written exam and an oral examination. Every Ph.D. scholar is expected to take the comprehensive exam one year after their registration.
IIT Mandi offers 18-course specializations in 3 streams: Engineering, Sciences, and Humanities in Regular, Part-Time, Sponsored, External, Project Staff, and Lateral Entry modes. The courses are mentioned below:
|Electronics and Drive||Computer Science||Social Science|
|VLSI & Embedded Systems||Thermal Fluid Science|
|Signal Processing and Communication||Water Resource|
|Remote Sensing & Geo-informatics|
|Fees||Odd Semester||Even Semester|
|Total||INR 26,500||INR 26,500|
|Total Fees Payable (Gen/ OBC)||INR 45,000||INR 34,500|
|Total Fees Payable (SC/ ST)||INR 40,000||INR 29,500|
Official Website – https://www.iitmandi.ac.in/
Ordinance – http://www.iitmandi.ac.in/academics/f…